Friday, February 26, 2016

Variety of Frosting including Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

I have been experimenting different kind of frosting. This is an interesting recipe and I am very curious to find out how this turns out. Unfortunately it took me a few tries, probably 4 or 5 times, and failed 2 or 3 times. This time when I failed, I didn't put much thought into it. I thought I try again and it was a success. On the 3rd attempt, I failed miserably, so I tried again immediately after and I failed that too. I was very disappointed. And I had to have some frosting that evening, so I had to use the store bought frosting. I just thought how could I failed so many times and had success once so I went online to find out what caused my failure. Ok, before I go any further, let me explain first what is needed on this recipe. One of the key ingredient is egg white. The other ingredients are real butter, vanilla extract, pinch of cream of tartar and granulated sugar and I am really thrilled, no powdered sugar is needed here. See it, key ingredient egg white? that means no egg yolk, I like bring to your attention and mine, no egg yolk!! and guess what my failure was due to tiny bit of egg yolk in my mixture resulted in failed result to the recipe.. oi??

Also, use real butter no exception. Everything else is piece of cake :) So from now on, my meringue buttercream is happily ever after. This recipe also stores well in freezer (can be stored for longer period) or fridge ( made a few days ahead ), just bring out to room temperature and whip it in mixer for a few minutes before using. This recipe gets plenty of rave on the wedding cake I made.


Ingredients:
10 egg whites - room temperature
2 1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cream of tartar
6 stick butter - room temperature

Direction:

American Buttercream Frosting

1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (best quality available)
2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.

*Optional- As mentioned above, I like a cream cheese version of this frosting best.  The cream cheese adds to the creamy texture, and cuts down on the sweetness just a bit.  If desired, for a very light cream cheese flavor add 1/2 block (4 oz). cream cheese, leaving the other ingredients (as listed above) the same.  For a more traditional cream cheese flavor, reduce the butter to 1/2 cup, and add 1 block (8 oz.) of cream cheese.  If using a full block of cream cheese, you can reduce the cream or milk to 1 tablespoon total.

Buttercream with Cream Cheese Frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (room temp)
8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
7 cups powdered sugar (2 lb bag)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk.
see direction above on American Buttercream Frosting!

Eggless Buttercream made with flour:
1 cup butter
5 tbsp flour
1 tsp
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole milk

Place these 3 ingredients in a sauce pan; sugar, flour, milk. Heat and stir over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved and sauce is a little bubbly, about 7 minutes.

Transfer to the above to mixer and continue to mix over low speed until sauce is completely cool.
Slow add in butter one tablespoon at a time.
Once all butter is added, mix at higher speed for another 5-10 minutes until frosting comes puffy.
Frosting is ready for use.
If you want to store for later use, keep refrigerated, bring to room temperature and beat in mixer to puffy and frost on your cake or cupcakes :

Royal Icing
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
1 egg white
pinch of cream of tartar

Direction:
In mixing bowl, whip egg whites until foamy, slowly add in sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
Mix in cream of tartar and mix at high speed for 5 mins till mixture comes together.
Add a few drops of food color/gel and mix well.
Add a few drops of water at a time and mix well each time and check consistency until desired consistency.

Cookie Icing
  • 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 4 to 5 tablespoons water or milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
  • Fresh squeezed lemon juice, strained (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment